Thursday, June 3, 2010

Narrative 5



It was gray and muddy the morning Rosen got hit. Me, him, and Nick Lee were patrolling one of the muddy streets of Neong, a city we had been stationed at for awhile. While quietly chatting about home, the war, and people back at camp, our conversation was interrupted by a sudden crack of faraway rifle. We quickly flopped into a nearby ditch and and took a second to catch our breath .”Anyone get hit?” I asked after a few tense moments.“ A better question is where our shooter is,” Lee said and nearly got hit by a bullet that whistled by as he risked his head for a glance. “We need to get out of here” Rosen said. “You got any ideas?” I asked him. “Yeah, I'll run for those houses to the right, once he shoots at me, you guys go for the house on the left, we'll meet in the alley” he answered. “Are you crazy? You're gonna get killed man,” Lee said in response. “You got any better plans?” And with that Rosen ran out of the ditch. When he was about halfway across the street we started moving, and to my right I saw Rosen who was nearly there and I though he was going to to make it without getting hit. I thought wrong, as just as Rosen was nearing the house the rifle cracked again and Rosen span about and fell behind the house with a yell. Me and Lee had reached safety and we went through the alley to get Rosen. We found him there holding his bleeding thigh and gasping. “Jesus man, what did I tell you” Lee said as we ran over to him. “I don't think i'll be able to move on my own, help me up” Rosen told us. Lee bandaged up his leg and we slowly helped him to his feet, me and Lee keeping him up as best as we could. We made our way out of the small alleyway, making sure we didn't move from out behind the houses. As we neared camp we helped Rosen over to the medics. “Guess you took one for the team this time, eh Rosen?” The medic had asked. “Yeah so it seems” Rosen managed to say. “ Thanks for bringing me back guys” Rosen said as he laid down. “ We should be the ones thanking you, saved us all.” I told him with a grin.

No comments:

Post a Comment